Sunday, March 18, 2012

St. Patty's Day Italian Style

 For a Saint Patty's Day trip my friend Rachel and I visited the city of Bologna in search of some Irish Festivities. Getting off the train around 1pm we simply started to wander around and just take in the sights. After realizing we had no idea where to go and what to see we invested in a trusty map! Good decision looking back now. We started to head to the main square Piazza Maggiore (I think I only wanted to go there because Maggiore is like Maggie). Anyway we were able to see one of the 12 entrances to the city and parts of the Medieval city wall.
Porta Galliera

Enjoying the beautiful buildings that were simply massive we stumbled upon a market which is on my agenda the next time I go to Bologna.
Via Dell' Indipendenza-Street Market

Palazzo D'Accursio- now the Public Library

Strada Rizzoli -way to Le Due Torri

Public Library in the Piazza

Palazzo Re Enzo
More Medieval Castle- view from the Piazza Maggiore

 
Inside the Public Library

Below the Library old Ruins

Fontana del Neptune
 Rachel and I and Neptune (Ignore the photobomb behind us)
 Basilica Di San Petrono
Inside the Basilica (shh don't tell we weren't supposed to take pictures but it was just so grandiose I wouldn't be able to describe it)

 Rachel's and mine favorite street, with some festive Italian musicians- I think it is Via Clavature

Finally made it to the Celtic Druid

Happy St. Patty's Day from Italy!
(Thank god for the cider beer so we could still be festive and have one to celebrate)

No comments:

Post a Comment